It’s no secret that I love anything tequila, and I have deep seated passion for grapefruit and similar fruits. This drink combines the best of both worlds, and it is a refreshing accompaniment to Mexican dishes, or anything spicy. While this recipe calls for pomelo, you could use grapefruit, or any other citrus fruit. Similarly, while broke out the tequila we got on our honeymoon in Mexico, you can use any tequila. Clear tequila does make for a better looking cocktail though
Also, this recipe is a very adaptable. You can play around with it and add different herbs like mint, cilantro, or even basil. Each will make a great drink with equally good flavors. For this drink, I chose mint because I had it on hand, but you do you and I’m sure it will be great.
This recipe makes two cocktails–one for you and another, or one big one for you. I don’t judge.
Pomelo Tequila Spritzer
Tart, zesty, and slightly boozy. This drink is great with spicy dishes or even by itself on a warm evening!
- 1 large Pomelo (Look for one that is heavy for its size, with no bruises or soft spots)
- 1 Lime
- 2 tsp. Sugar
- 4 oz. Tequila
- 2 tsp of sugar, or more to taste
- Sprite or Seltzer to top
- Mint or Cilantro, optional.
- Step 1 Squeeze the pomelo for all the juice it is made of. Set aside.
- Step 2 Muddle the juice of a lime and sugar at bottom of your shaker. You can also add mint for a mojito hybrid, or cilantro for a more earthy drink.
- Step 3 Add Tequila and half of the pomelo juice. Give it a couple of stirs
- Step 4 Fill with ice and shake until the mixer is cold all over..
- Step 5 Pour over ice in two short (or one tall) glass.
- Step 6 Top with sprite or lemon-lime seltzer and the remaining pomelo juice.
- Step 7 Garnish with pomelo and herb of choice. Or not. The choice is yours. Optional: Zest the pomelo or the lime and mix with sugar. Use to rim glasses for a sweeter sip before pouring.