This week, spring sprang in Seattle, and I have been on a mission to eat colorful and fresh flavors. Asparagus were on sale at our local market, so I picked up a bunch, and grabbed a watermelon radish. I am in love with these beautiful little veggies — they are so colorful, and can elevate any dish to the “gourmet.” If you’ve never had one, they boast a more mild peppery taste than a regular radish, but still retain all of the crispy crunch. All you have to do is slice them really thin, place them in a bowl of water, and they are ready to use!
The beautiful thing about this salad is that it is so simple, and it only requires 5 ingredients beyond salt and pepper. It takes less than 15 minutes to prepare, and it serves as a unique side that is sure to wow dinner guests! I’ll be honest, it can take a bit of time to get your shaving technique down, and you’ll see that mine aren’t really consistent. I think this is a good thing because it can give the dish a bit of much needed texture. However, for a more aesthetically pleasing result, try and keep it to thin and consistent ribbons. Top with radish and shaved parmesan, and you’ll have yourself a photo-worthy plate!
Eat With: Grilled chicken or fish!
Drink With: Personally, I love this dish paired with a Botanical Gin and Tonic and extra lime!
Shaved Asparagus and Radish Salad
This 5 ingredient salad adds a lot of color and freshness to any meal! The shaved asparagus is delicate, and when paired with a radish, you have a crisp salad full of texture and flavor!
- 10-12 Asparagus
- 1/2 small Watermelon Radish, thinly sliced
- 1T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1T Lemon Juice (or more to taste)
- Pinch of Salt/Pepper
- Parmesan for Serving
- Step 1 Wash and dry the asparagus and radish.
- Step 2 Using a mandoline, or a very sharp knife, thinly slice the watermelon radish into equally sized circles. Place in a bowl with a small amount of water and set aside.
- Step 3 Using a potato peeler, shave the stalks of the asparagus into thin ribbons. You can shave the heads, cut them in half, or keep them whole depending on your aesthetic preference.
- Step 4 Toss asparagus with EVOO, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Let stand for 5+ minutes. Taste and adjust as needed.
- Step 5 Arrange asparagus, top with radish and shaved parmesan. Add an extra squeeze of lemon and EVOO drizzle before serving.